10 Examples of First Conditional Sentences! The first conditional is a very important English sentence structure to learn. It’s used to talk about possible future events and their accompanying conditions. In this blog post, we will give you 10 examples of first conditional sentences to help you understand and use this structure correctly.
What is a Conditional Sentence? A conditional sentence is made up of two parts – the condition and the result. The condition is usually an action that needs to happen first, in order for the result to occur. For example:
- If I have time, I will visit my grandparents.
Here, the condition (if I have time) must be met first, before the result (I will visit my grandparents) can happen.
There are four different types of conditional sentences in English, and each one has a different function. The first conditional is used to talk about possible future events. This means that the condition is something that could happen, not something that definitely will happen.
- If it rains tomorrow, I will stay home.
The speaker is not sure if it will rain tomorrow, but they are making a prediction based on the conditions. If the condition (it rains tomorrow) is met, then the result (I will stay home) will happen.
|If Clause (Condition)||Main Clause (Result)|
|If + Simple Present||Simple Future|
|If I see her||I’ll tell her.|
Examples of First Conditional Sentences
Now let’s take a look at some examples of first conditional sentences.
1) If I have time, I will travel to Europe.
2) If you study hard, you will pass the test.
3) If it rains tomorrow, I will stay home.
4) If she finishes her homework, she can watch TV.
5) If he is feeling better, he can go to school.
6) If we leave now, we will arrive on time.
7) If they are hungry, they can eat the pizza.
8) If it snows tomorrow, the roads will be slippery.
9) If she wants to come, she is welcome to join us.
10) If I don’t finish this project, I will be in trouble.