50 Academic Writing Verbs in English! ESL students, did you know there are 50 academic writing verbs in English? This can help you improve your writing skills. In this blog post, we will explore 10 of these verbs. Let’s get started!
What is a Verb?
A verb is a word that shows action or occurrence. It is one of the most important words in a sentence, and it is necessary for a sentence to make sense. In English, there are three main verb tenses: past, present, and future. Each tense has its own set of rules for conjugation.
What is an academic Verb?
An academic verb is a word that is used to describe an action or occurrence in an academic setting.
These verbs are often used in research papers, essays, and journal articles. There are academic writing verbs in English, and they are listed below.
1. To assert – to state something confidently or forcefully
2. To claim – to state something as a fact
3. To conclude – to reach a judgment or decision based on evidence
4. To hypothesize – to form an educated guess about something
5. To imply – to suggest something without stating it directly
6. To infer – to reach a conclusion based on evidence
7. To postulate – to suggest a theory or hypothesis
8. To presume – to assume something to be true without proof
9. To suggest – to offer an idea for consideration
10. To theorize – to develop a hypothesis or theory about something.
50 Academic Writing Verbs
Download this lesson in PDF