50 Proper Nouns List Examples and PDF! Grammar isn’t always the most exciting subject, but understanding proper nouns is important if you want to be able to communicate clearly in English. In this post, we’ll not only provide a list of 50 proper nouns examples, but we’ll also give you a downloadable PDF so you can keep it handy for future reference. So let’s get started!
What is a Proper Noun?
A proper noun is a specific name for a person, place, or thing. It always starts with a capital letter and is never followed by a comma. Some common proper nouns include:
America is a continent located in the Western Hemisphere.
Emily is my best friend.
Monday is the first day of the week.
As you can see, a proper noun always refers to a specific person, place, or thing and is always capitalized. Now let’s take a look at some more examples of proper nouns!
50 Examples of Proper Nouns
1. People: Mr. Smith, Mrs. Jones, baby Eliza
2. Places: America, Europe, Africa, China
3. Things: Christmas, Easter, the Titanic
4. Institutions: Harvard University, Yale School of Medicine
5. Companies: Google, Facebook, Apple Inc.
6. Products: iPhone, iPad, MacBook
7. Activities: Soccer, Football, Swimming
8. Events: the Olympics, the Civil War, World War II
9. Communities: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles
10. Buildings: the Empire State Building, the White House, Buckingham Palace
11. Landmarks: Niagara Falls, Mount Everest, the Grand Canyon
12. Parks: Central Park, Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park
13. Bodies of water: the Pacific Ocean, the Mediterranean Sea, Lake Michigan
14. Geographical features: the Rocky Mountains, the Sahara Desert
15. Historic periods: the Renaissance, the Victorian era
16. Religions: Christianity, Islam, Judaism
17. Sacred texts: the Bible, the Koran, the Torah
18. Languages: Spanish, French, Arabic
19. Countries: Canada, Mexico, Peru
20. States: Texas, California, New York
21. Cities: Los Angeles, Chicago, London
22. Streets: Broadway, Wall Street, Abbey Road
23. Stadiums: Yankee Stadium, Wembley Stadium
24. Airlines: Delta Air Lines, British Airways
25. Ships: the Titanic, the Queen Mary
26. Cars: Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro
27. Toys: Barbie dolls, GI Joe action figures
28. Musicians: Elvis Presley, Taylor Swift
29. Composers: Bach, Beethoven, Brahms
List of Proper Nouns
- Burger king
- Harman miller
- Atlantic Ocean
- Doctor Norris
- Agatha Christie
- Berlin Wall
- Indian ocean
- Jennifer Lopez
- Daily news
- Lady Gaga
- Eiffel Tower
Download this Lesson in PDF