Use of Which and What in English Grammar PDF!
What is the Correct Use of Which and What in English Grammar?
Correct Use of Which
“Which” is used for things and animals and selection.
- Which game do you like?
- Which is your house?
- Which will you have, squash or syrup. (Selection)
- Which is your father among these gentlemen? (Selection)
- Of John and Joe which is the stronger? (Selection)
Correct Use of What
Use No. 1
“What“ is used for things only.
- What is your aim in life?
- What are your plans for the future?
- What is your name?
Use No. 2
“What” may stand for an activity.
- What are you doing with this watch?
Use No. 3
“What” is also used for asking a person’s profession.
- What is your father? (The answer should refer to profession of your father) as, My father is a doctor.
Use No. 4
Combined with like it may denote the quality of a thing or person.
- What is she like?
- What is he like as a radio artist?
- What is his work like?
Difference between “What” and “Which”
- “Which” implies a selection from, limited number of persons or things; “What” is used to present a selection from an unlimited number of persons or things.
- We have got red and blue pens. Which will you have?
- Which size do you want – small, medium, or large?
- What language do they speak in Punjab?
- What is your phone number?
2. “Which” is used for animals, birds, and lifeless objects.
- This is the book which was lost yesterday.
- She gave me a coat which had rainy colors.
- What happened to the horse which won the first prize last year?
- Aslam was bitten by a snake which was very poisonous.
Related Lesson: Correct Use of Whose, As, and But in English
Related Lesson: Correct Use of That
Infographics (Use of Which and What in English Grammar)
Download this lesson of correct use of what and which in English in PDF