Uses of This, That, These, Those in English, Definition and Example Sentences
Uses of This
This is used for singular things. While referring to an object we use this. This basically used to refer to objects or people that are close to us, or places besides.
- This is my book.
- This is the cat of my friend.
- Who is responsible for this matter?
- This is the table I want to sell.
Uses of These
‘These’ is used for plural things. While referring to the objects or things that are near to us we use these. Remember to always use these with plural nouns that are near.
- These are my books, you can use them to study tonight.
- These flowers are very beautiful, I will take them home.
- These are my pants, please give me back.
- Please eat these Bananas, we have to go.
Uses of That
That is used for far-off persons and things. That is used to point a person or thing that is at a distance from us. That is used to point to a singular person or a thing.
- That was the only pant I have.
- Is that the book you were looking for?
- I think at that point it is an epidemic.
- She was just looking like that.
Uses of Those
Those are used to point at the far-off plural nouns. When we have to point at the persons or things that are at a distance from us we use those.
- Those jeans make you feel more beautiful.
- My grandma used to listen to those old songs.
- Those cookies are delicious.
- Those are your books, now please start your study.